A Non-partisan Approach to Understanding Politics
...to understand politics
If you have never seriously considered politics, you are at the mercy of skilled manipulators who understand the human psyche. The best way to control your own life and destiny is to have clearly identified personal moral standards and to be aware of tricks designed to manipulate you and guide you into a certain action or belief.
These are amateurish and foolish ways to think about voting for a political candidate:
- Do I personally like the candidate?
- Does the candidate belong to my political party?
- Does the candidate belong to my religious group?
- Is the candidate of my preferred race?
- Will the candidate support and finance my project?
Instead, ask "What do I want done to my country according to my personal morality and wisdom?" Do some soul-searching and decide who you are and what you want to be able to do in life. Get a pen and paper, and commit to writing what are your core beliefs.
Here are some things you may want to ask yourself:
- Do I want any laws based on a person's race? Or should all laws apply equally to everyone?
- Should I be allowed earn what I want and am capable of doing without government interferance as long as it does not infringe on another person's rights?
- Should the government be capable of police action to keep the general population safe from robbery, murder, violence against any person whatsoever by any person whatsoever?
- What are the conditions, if any, under which my government would be allowed to militarily attack another nation?
- Self defense only?
- Prevention of genocide by another government or people?
- To protect our friends and allies?
- Should a majority of the population be allowed to remove or abridge the rights or legal status of another person?
- Does this nation have both the right and obligation to protect itself and its people from all invaders?